RECIPE TIME! Roasted cauliflower, broccoli and pasta fondue with a pumpkin seed crust. This is a fairly quick and easy dish to prepare. I find it's very popular amongst children and teens, but then the fondue sauce gives a slightly more ‘grown up’ feel to the dish too.
It came about as a result of my indecision between making macaroni cheese or cauliflower cheese. You can use different combinations of cheeses, but I do love the classic combination of gruyere and emmental. I try to include seeds in recipes sometimes as they are a great source of nutrients for anyone's diet, especially veggie's.
Ingredients – to serve 4-6
1 medium cauliflower
- 1 medium broccoli head
- 300g penne or rigatoni pasta
- ½ bottle dry white white
- Clove of garlic (optional)
- 200g Gruyere
- 200g Emmental
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 50g Sainsbury vegetarian Italian hard cheese
- Small handful of pumpkin or mixed seeds
- 2 slices of brown bread (preferably a little stale)
- Heat oven to 220 C.
- Break and trim cauliflower and broccoli into large florets, drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and roast in the hot oven for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, bring add pasta to pan of boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 mins. Drain water and then return to large pan and set aside.
- Rub the sides of a small pan with the garlic clove (if using), then add white wine and bring to boil. Simmer until reduced by one third.
- Grate gruyere and emmental and add to simmering wine, along with mustard. Heat gently and stir until wine and cheese are well combined.
- Blitz brown bread slices in mixer to create breadcrumbs. Bread can be grated if you don’t have a food processor. Mix breadcrumbs with finely grated parmesan or vegetarian Italian hard cheese.
- Add roasted vegetables to pasta pan, mix together and then add fondue sauce and stir to combine well. Check seasoning and add salt and white pepper to taste. Turn out mixture into large baking dish, ensuring even arrangement of cauliflower, broccoli and pasta.
- Layer breadcrumb mixture over top and then sprinkle with pumpkin or mixed seeds.
- Bake in hot oven, 200 C, until top is golden and crispy.