Monday 27 June 2011

Busy, busy, busy... & some summer berries

Last week was intense.  A bit too much perhaps? I had such a busy week in my job, trying to think through large scale research programmes for the next year.  Then running out one meeting to go into another to talk about food and where I see my future and so on.  It's exhausting!  My head cannot be in two places like this.  I'm pretty sure it can't be good for me.  So it's probably a good thing I have handed in my notice!

I now have unpaid leave to focus on foodie business this week.  Today I have been trying to sort out the website, which as anyone who has ever had anything to do with website design and development will tell you, is no mean feat.  It's also an expensive one.

I'm working on another dining event menu, so will hopefully get down to some recipe testing mid week.  I forgot to photograph my lovely wontons last week, so I will definitely make sure that doesn't happen this week.  I filled them with enoki mushrooms and smoky tofu, which worked really well.  Especially with the chilli jam!

I also made a contribution to an article in The Ecologist, but I'm afraid it's a recipe that some of you guys have seen before for the posh Manchester tarts.  'Make the most of the summer berry glut' in The Ecologist

The only bit they didn't publish was my suggestion for using the excess of raspberries for making your own chambord.  Only as an ingredient for the Manchester tarts of course!

Make your own raspberry liqueur (a la chambord):
3 cups of vodka, 1 ½ cups of sugar & 1lb fruit & then leave for 6 months to mellow  ;0)

Or for a more short term reward with summer berries, try a sorbet....

Just make a fruit puree, with or without a little alcohol (but not too much or it won’t freeze).  I like tequila or white rum.  Using any soft berries such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries or you may prefer a combination.  You will need about 1kg of fruit to make puree.  Put fresh fruit and 2 tbsp of caster sugar in small pan, and heat gently until fruit breaks down and you reach jammy consistency, then add more sugar to taste.  Whisk and then freeze.  I also like using agave instead of sugar for a more mellow sweetness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment